Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Messages in the Bible Made me an Atheist

Consistency in the Bible is a consistency of holy baloney. Even the canonized Gospel writers were inconsistent against each other. The Gospel of Matthew tells us that Jesus was an aristocrat descended from David via Solomon. The Gospel of Luke tells us that Jesus was from much more humble stock. The Gospel of mark says that Jesus was born to a poor carpenter. At his birth, Jesus was visited by kings according to Matthew, but according to Luke, he was visited by shepherds. Jesus, according to the bible was born in Bethlehem, but he is usually referred to as Jesus of Nazareth. At his death, according to the Gospels of mark and Matthew, the last words of Jesus were: “My God, my God, why hast forsaken me?” But according to Luke, Jesus said: “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.” And in John, Jesus simply said, “It is finished.” The bible repeatedly exhorts readers to fear God. Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. “Blessed is everyone that feareth the Lord. As the Lord’s Prayer states, God’s will should “be done on earth as it is in heaven.” In the meantime, fear is at the foundation of our insane society, In fact, we Filipinos are the fearful and the frightened Sick Man of Asia. For my part, I thank the gods, for they inspired me to properly read the bible. Reading the bible has been the most potent force for me to grow up and to move out of my Catholicism into the rationality of agnosticism and finally to the sanity of atheism. After all, religion encourages stupidity and the promotion of a sick society. Poch Suzara

No comments: