Saturday, October 29, 2005

Terrorism

Terrorism is nothing but a method to make war – a technique as inspired by religious fanaticism. The war against terrorism would be more effective if the struggle were against religious fanaticism rather than against its poor victims - the Christians, Muslims, Jews, or what - not.

As a little boy in school, I can still feel the terror from my teachers terrorizing my mind into believing and into having faith in the revealed truths or I will burn eternally in hell if I do not believe it. I suppose I did not grow up to be a terrorist because I threw my religious faith and beliefs out the window. I decided, instead, to study religion not as a good, but as an evil. I thought it quite deadly why religious fanatics are quite ready and willing to cut each other’s throat because they cannot even agree as to what will happen to them after their throats have been cut.

In his WHY I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN, Bertrand Russell wrote: “We ought to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world – its good facts and bad facts, and its beauties and its ugliness; see the world as it is, and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence, and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient oriental despotism. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand and look at the world frankly in its face. We ought to make the best of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in the past. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past, or a fettering of the free intelligence by words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook, and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time towards a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.” Poch Suzara

No comments: