Monday, April 09, 2007

God Debate Letter to Newsweek

April 10, 2007 Newsweek Letter to the Editor Gentlemen: In the God Debate (April 9 issue) between Sam Harris and Rick Warren, this much I should say: It does not bother me to realize that for millions of years before my birth, I was a nothing. Why then should it bother me to realize also that after my death, I will again be a nothing? In the meantime, just like everyone else, I too was born an atheist. Indeed, no child is born a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim or what-not. That a creator made me in his own image is no burden to me. It’s the problem of the creator. After all, we are all born on a planet so tiny in that one million planets the size of earth can fit inside the sun. More than a trillion of such suns otherwise called “stars” comprise the cosmos. If the creator is also like a speck of dust floating aimlessly in space – what’s all this fear and guilt about behind man’s silly religious beliefs? If there be a purpose to life, that purpose must be those of the atheists – to leave this world a little better than we found it, or there is little reason for our having lived. Sincerely, Poch Suzara, San Lorenzo Village, Makati city, Philippines Cellphone: 09165724788

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!Mr.Poch,I'm a fan of yours for almost a year already. Thanks to you, I am enlightened...