Saturday, December 08, 2007

Damian Sotto

Damian Sotto was a great and a rare Filipino. He was the famous radio broadcaster in the late 50s and early 60s. He cursed to high heavens the saints, filling the air waves with truths against holy scriptures for the masses to listen. He confronted the Catholic Church head on - to put up or shut up. He provoked the thoughts and asked millions of his radio listeners: How could you believe that a white woman who had blue eyes, a brunette, born and raised under a Jewish culture - be the mother of God in a land that was never converted into Christianity? Sotto also found it laughable that the Father of Jesus never married his Mother Mary. Indeed, Jesus was not a legitimate child. I was so proud when I personally met Damian Sotto at the Erewhon bookstore in Padre Faura street, Erminta, Malate in 1963. I shook his hands with great respect and admiration. I said to him in the vernacular: “If only our teachers in school and professors in college possessed a modicum of intellectual courage of a Damian Sotto we Filipinos need no longer be famous the Sick Man of Asia today. Poch Suzara

8 comments:

tubongcavite said...

i never had the pleasure of listening to him, i only heard the story of my old man who loved damian sotto and his radio program.. he was something..

biya.hero said...

I use hear him when I was still in my grade school. His program called "Mangaktuwiran ka!". We always compare him with Rafael Yabut (a newscaster). He was indeed something. Those were the good old day. I miss him.

Anonymous said...

Im just a liitle boy when i see my father reading a book of damian sotto.He attack religion,specially catholic.

Unknown said...

Hi, i would appreciate very much if anyone can tell me how to get c copy of tape broadcast / book of Ka damian sotto as a gift for my father, who was an avid listener of Ka Damian. Please any info pleas text me at 09052705387

Unknown said...

Where is he now? A person not worthy of remembrance, that is, Damian Sotto.

Unknown said...

My late Lolo loves to listen his radio program.

Ernesto aunario a musician said...

Ilove this guy brave and honest he curse all bad guys there he was a great man no one to compare to him one of a kind comentator of all time

Anonymous said...

People probably just loved his manner of delivery, which was unique among commentators though people did not necessarily agree with his rants which as the article shows is full of logical fallacies.