Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Bertrand Russell

In his long career Bertrand Russell touched little which he has not upset. For example, as a mathematician, he turned mathematics upside down. As a logician, he turned logic inside out. As a philosopher, he frankly admitted that he had not found the truth though he devoted seventy years of his life in search of it. For my part, I have learned to love and respect Bertrand Russell because, among other things, he was also a sceptic, rationalist, defender of scientific rationalism, and he certainly inspired in me to hate war and the H-Bomb. Russell once admitted that: "No one is perfect, and we should never be bothered by the fact that we are not perfect." Hell, I didn't know it then; but that's exactly what I tried to impart to my teachers then in school at De La Salle college. And to prove I was wrong, they all agreed to have me expelled out high-school. Poch Suzara