Tuesday, July 06, 2010

How not to be Lonely

All I have to do is to live the way you want me to live. Believe the way you want me to believe. Be a follower. Be poor in spirit. Be faithful. Never mind being thoughtful. Never mind the power of reason. Just hold on to faith. Just be closed-minded. Never mind being open-minded. Never mind the necessity of living my own life. I should just let others decide how I should live. I should just love and worship divinity. Never mind thinking. Just do a lot of praying. I must only believe as true the word of God written in the bible. I should stop reading it critically. Judiciously. I should only obey bible authority. And live my life always in fear of deviltry. To accept as all true the promises of the priesthood industry. That I must only look forward to a better life to come after death. Never mind man's most noble of occupation - the search of the truth. Never mind the only home we have - this planet earth. Never mind trying to put beauty into our world where nature has put only horror. There is more beauty in the kingdom of God to come after death. After all, Jesus loves me. If I do follow these things, never will I be ever lonely again. Well, I say, no way. I rather be lonely than be a thoughtless individual for the rest of life. Soon, I will be dead too. And it is better to acknowledge the fact that we die not partially; but entirely. Indeed, nothing is more natural and more simple than to see that a dead man lives no more. He has no more circulation, respiration, digestion, speech or reflection. Nothing is more absurd than to believe that a dead man somewhere out there is still alive. As if there is such a thing as a hereafter since there never was, for any of us, for million of years before our birth, a herebefore. Sleep in a morsel of death, a temporary experience of peace or sanity. Death, however, is the end of one's life for all eternity. The joy of life is nonetheless a joy because it must come to an end, nor do love and thought lose their value because they are not everlasting. For as long as I live, I shall continue to enjoy intellectual freedom on this earth. I shall continue to struggle for human decency. I would rather be on the side of meaningful humanity and to hell with meaningless divinity. What other great purpose is there in life? I would rather have a reason to have lived and and try to leave this world one day a better place than how I found it. Not necessarily in the material, but indeed, in the humanitarian sense. In his great book COSMOS scientist/atheist Carl Sagan wrote: "The Cosmos may be densely populated with intelligent beings. But the Darwinian lesson is clear: There will be no humans elsewhere. Only here. Only in this small planet. We are a rare as well as an endangered species. Everyone of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will find another." Poch Suzara

No comments: