Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Death as an Atheist

"Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." [Isaac Asimov, "On Religiosity", Free Inquiry]... As for me, 79 years old, my doctors tell me that my time on this earth is getting shorter. I can go any time now. My response to my doctors - "The day we are born is the day we begin to live in a dying body. So what is there to fear about the reality of death?" ... For millions of years before I was born, I was existing peacefully as a nothing. I had no need to believe in a silly God. Well, after my death, I will again be existing peacefully as a nothing. It will be utterly silly for me to believe that I will have to face a silly God after I am dead; especially to judge me! . . . Poch Suzara Twitter# Facebook# Google#

1 comment:

Ken said...

Hello Poch, indeed you've lived a long life. And you've spent a large chunk of it arguing with catholics and religionists. From where I'm looking, perhaps you could have pursued more fulfilling activities and enjoyed life and lived it to the fullest,instead of making it your life mission to ridicule the religious folks and disrespect their God. What did they do to you that you would have so much contempt for them? What if you were wrong? What if you were the idiot? What if you've thrown away you only chance for eternal peace? Inquiring minds would like to know.