Wednesday, March 28, 2007

White-American Gimcrackery

On CBS ‘60 Minutes’ Andy Rooney remarked: “My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.” No kidding? Any native Indian or native Mexican can cry about it with more truthfulness: “My ancestors died in vain for you to leave the countries you were born in to come over and claim it as your own by naming it the United States of America. And to think in America, there is this grand claim inscribed on the Statue of Liberty: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.” At any given day, (7) seven million white American citizens cannot find decent employment in America. It is all about a lot of white American gimcrackery! I should know. As a poor immigrant, I lived and worked in America for some 17 years. My job there was about working hard to help my white rich employer become filthy richer. Oh yes, in America there’s the beauty of individualism; but what is, however, far more important is capitalism. US Capitalism now owns and controls more than 60 per cent of the world’s natural resources. Moreover, as the only super power, American capitalism has but one single goal: to rule the world unchallenged with its military fire power. My dear Andy Rooney, may I suggest you read history books written by a rare and honest American historian - Howard Zinn. It is truthful historians like Howard Zinn that prevents me from totally losing hope with America and its decent future. In his PEOPLE’S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES, he writes: - “We are not hated because we practice democracy, value freedom, or uphold human rights. We are hated because our government denies these things to people in Third World countries whose resources we coveted by our multinational corporations. That hatred we have sown has come back to us in the form of terrorism… Instead of sending our sons and daughters around the world to kill Arabs so we can have the oil under their sand, we should send them to rebuild their infrastructure, supply clean water, and feed starving children … In short, we should do good instead of evil. Who would try to stop us then? Who would hate us then? Who would want to bomb us? That is the truth the American people need to hear.” Poch Suzara

No comments: