Saturday, October 11, 2008

Afraid of Death

Those who are afraid to die are afraid to live. Those who are afraid to live need God.
To believe, however, that after death we can still be afraid or, as the case may be, - be unafraid, is to pretend that we can still be able to see without eyes, to hear without ears, to taste without a palate, to smell without nose, to feel without hands or skin, and indeed, that we shall still be able to think with our brain already rotting away in a Catholic cemetery.

“The good life,” Bertrand Russell wrote, “is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.” To me, in my simplicity, as I am approaching my own death, I can only say to the laws of nature: “Go ahead, kill me, and when you do, rest assured, I will die standing up with my self-respect and dignity, and not kneeling ashamed of my sense of humanity.” Poch Suzara

No comments: