Thursday, January 28, 2010

Howard Zinn, American Historian

Oh yes, I have read with much joy, pleasure, and gusto Howard Zinn’s A PEOPLE’s HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES. I still do read it as it is one of my bedside books. As an American citizen, I have developed the greatest respect for Howard Zinn. He was indeed not only a great and a rare historian, but also a rare and an admirable American worthy of affection and emulation. Evil passions make Americans incapable of seeing the truth, and false beliefs afford excuses for evil passions. If we Americans were to maintain our sense of human decency throughout the world, we require both clear thinking and kindly feeling. Thank you Mr. Howard Zinn for giving us Americans more enlightenment to see more light in our world affairs. Indeed, to have the guts to be truthful and honest as you have been truthful and honest with your writings. My own end is near – just around the corner. If there is, however, life after death, I would like to meet and shake the hands of Howard Zinn alongside Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Will Durant, Thomas Paine, and Jose Rizal. Otherwise, I don’t give two hoots for the hereafter if I am just to be mingling around with lesser beings like Moses, Jesus and his apostles, the bible writers Matthew, Luke, Mark, and John, or meet with Jaime Cardinal Sin, Archbishop of Manila, or to be with my La Salle grade school and high school teachers. To Howard Zinn - in life and in death, I stand to salute you my dear Sir. You have been, indeed, a genuine American scholar and a rare citizen of the USA. Poch Suzara

1 comment:

Snowbrush said...

I recently read and enjoyed the same book.