Wednesday, January 23, 2008

God as a Shining Light

Faithful Christians will at times relate about the experiences of someone dying on the operating table and being “brought back to life.” Some will recount the “near death” experiences where their “soul” was already hovering over, and looking down at their own body… while a celestial being was striving to “guide” them towards a far off “Great Shining Light.”

Isn’t it incredible that the only description available to what God looks like is a “Great Shining Light? And to think during our formative years in grade school, we were already inspired, nay, intimidated to believe that God is existing here, existing there, and existing everywhere watching our every move and jutting down our every sinful thought.

In the meantime, in the Old Testament, Moses queried the burning bush about its identity. In the King James translation the bush replies: “I am that I am.” But the original Hebrew, according to biblical scholars, should actually be translated as “I will be what I will be.”

For my part, I imagine a God identifying himself as either a Great Shining Light, or a Burning Bush, or “I am that I am” while nervously chewing his fingernails. Poch Suzara

No comments: