Friday, May 20, 2011

Life and Death

"I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young, and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is none the less true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting." So wrote Bertrand Russell. As for me, I accept the fact that, right after birth, I began to live in a dying body, and that I am now at the end of my life - short, and brief, and fleeting as life is. I should wish, however, to die without fear. Indeed, those who fear death, fear life. Well, never, should we ever ignore the fact that we only live once; but if we live freely, nobly, fearlessly, and thoughtfully - once is more than enough. In the meantime, a God who creates humans only to live briefly and then perish quickly is a God not worth believing nor respecting. Poch Suzara

1 comment:

Dante said...

"Happiness is none the less true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting."
-- Bertrand Russell

I wonder how one can make sense of love if atheism is true (that God does not exist). If God does not exist, what is love? It seems like it's nothing but a kind of feeling, the product of chemicals in the brain.