Monday, March 22, 2010

To Be Moral

To be moral, according to Jesus, I must shackle my reason. I must force myself to believe and have faith in what I cannot understand. I must suppress, in the name of morality, any doubts that surface in my mind. I must regard as a mark of excellence an unwillingness to subject religious beliefs to critical analysis. Less doubts, less criticism leads to more faith – and faith, Jesus declares, is the hallmark of virtue. Indeed, “unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matt. 18:3. Children, after all, are always gullible enough believe even in the existence of Santa Claus. As an atheist, - I am a man of self-esteem. I therefore cannot quality to be a candidate for the master-slave relationship that Christianity offers me. A man lacking in self-esteem, a man ridden with guilt, will frequently prefer the apparent security of Christianity over independence and find comfort in the thought that, for the price of total submissiveness, God will love and protect and reward him especially after death in heaven eternally. I am an atheist because I have no need to pay a dear price for that deadly religious way of life: the mindless surrender of the self via the mutilation of the intellect. Poch Suzara

No comments: