Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Scientific Way of Thinking

Between one philosopher compared to a thousand theologians, I would first listen to Bertrand Russell: He made it clear that - "freedom is the supreme good; for without freedom personality is impossible. Life and knowledge are today so complex, that only by free discussions can we pick our way through errors and prejudices to that total perspective which is truth. Let men, let even teachers, differ and debate; out of such diverse opinions will come an intelligent relativity of belief which will not readily fly to arms; hatred and war come largely of fixed ideas or dogmatic faith. We think of education as the transmission of a certain body of settled knowledge, when it should be rather the development of a scientific habit of mind." Now, if you want to learn to be scientific in your way of thinking: you must first learn to value observation, and your conclusion from that observation must be tentative as the conclusion itself must still be under further investigation by way of experimentation. Science is always about lively analysis. The scientific way of thinking has nothing to do with deadly paralysis. In the meantime, science is always tentative. It is never definite or dogmatic. Science is always ready and willing to admit its own errors as science has been and always will be a self-correcting enterprise. As I am an individual in love with the scientific way of thinking, I may seem bleak and cold, arrogant or impertinent - to those of you who would rather remain frightened of Christian values and beliefs. But as I learned to muster enough intellectual courage to question everything, I have also learned to thrust fear out of my thoughts, and this lesson, once learned, brings a kind of peaceful sanity which is impossible to those of you still bamboozled by grade school fairy tales - threatened into us during our so-called "formative years." In the ultimate analysis, I said it before, and I say it again: due to, if not because of, Christian values and beliefs as the basis of Filipino custom and tradition, we never celebrate the rise of scientific intelligence to benefit our country's growth and development; on the contrary, we only celebrate the traditional and customary ways of Catholic mediocrity to maintain, support, and defend the horrors that make famous as a sick society. Poch Suzara

1 comment:

Jekongz said...

Hi Poch,

I don't know if you still remember me. I am Jerald Aquino. I came to your house to receive the books and magazines you shared to me. I think that was New Year's eve 2011. I am very thankful to your generosity.

I have been told by Ma'am Marissa Torres Langseth, the Chairman and founder of (PATAS) to invite you to attend the first Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS) convention on April 21, 2012 at the Bayview Parks Hotel, United Nations Avenue. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/events/175153445884313/

You could text me if you need further clarification about this matter. (09228519618)

Yours sincerely,

Jerald Aquino (Jekongz)