Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Silly Fear of Death

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” ― Mark Twain “I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. Many a man has borne himself proudly on the scaffold; surely the same pride should teach us to think truly about man's place in the world. Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cosy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own." ― Bertrand Russell "If after my own death, I shall have to be with God in hell, or have to be with the Devil in heaven, or have to be with Jesus in Purgatory - no way, Jose. Over my dead body. I'd rather stay buried in the cemetery with my precious books forever and ever till the end of time and space. - Poch Suzara

1 comment:

Poch Suzara said...

Poch,

Yes, it is silly to fear death, this reminded me of the Greek philosopher, Epicurus who once said:

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. Epicurus, Greek philosopher (341 BC - 270 BC) Gil C. Fernandez