Monday, April 20, 2009

On Death

Death is the experience of nothing. Paradoxically, nobody dies of nothing. We all got to die of something.

The so-called near-death-experience is a not local, but a universal – hogwash. In fact, near-death experience is an occurrence by each and every one of us on a daily basis. Consider the day we are born, it is the day we also begin to experience dying.

Now I am told that in my death-bed, I will change and beg God to forgive my sins? I say: No way will I do such a thing! Over my dead body. I’d rather kill myself first.

No doubt, we all have talent for self-deception. Especially when our emotions are stirred and there are few notions more stirring than the idea that there is a better world to come after death. I ask: isn’t it better if there were a better world to create after birth rather than just believe that there is a better world to come after death?
Indeed, the very word afterlife is contradictory? How could there be a life after death when there is no such thing as a life before birth? What really is being suggested here is that life never ends and the first part of a human life takes place in a body and then that's disposed of but we somehow go on living with a soul. What a crock of superstitious crockery. It is all so childish as a belief and so infantile as a value unworthy of self-respect and human dignity.

In the meantime, I am indeed, dying and while I am at it beyond my control, I am living, thinking, learning, questioning, and thought-provoking.

The rest of my friends, relatives, associates, classmates, and schoolmates are doing nothing too but simply just dying too. It is nature's decree - the day we are born is the day we begin to live in a dying body.

Well, I asked it before, I ask it again: Why should we not try to leave this world a better place than we found it? Not for the sake of a sick divinity, but precisely with a healthy sense for humanity? Poch Suzara



Poch Suzara

No comments: